Sunday, December 30, 2012

July 12, 1943: Speak to Madge

Darling Madge:

Gee Honey I'm sure happy you and Joyce Ann are still getting along so well.  But toots don't try to get out of bed for two or three weeks yet.  And when you do you get up and around, don't you dare do any kind of work for a long time. 

Everything is going along nice for us, and we don't want to take any chances.  Honey there's another rumor about us getting a 15 day furlough when we finish this school.  I sure hope its tru (don't we).  I'll let you know more about it later on.

Darling, I think Joyce Ann is a perfect name for the baby, so you just as well have her named that.  Cause that's what I call her too.

Gee the way you describe her to me, she's nearly as near an angel as posible, and I can hardly wait to see her, I sure hope she's as nice as you, then she'll be perfect, cause you are, and always will be.

Honey I wish I could be there to help walk the floor with her at night, or do you do that?  Wouldn't I look funny walking the floor at night, and washing diapers in the day time?  But I'll sure do it if I get the chance.

I got three letters from you today, boy did I enjoy them, but toots don't try to write too much, I can wait a day or so, and I don't want you to get too tired.  Yes toots I've wrote several letters to you in bed, in fact that where I wrote the one yesterday.  Could you read it?

Honey I'd sure like to be Joyce ann, just think?  I could lay in your arms and go to sleep, she's sure lucky.  I hope you don't mind too much cause she's naughty, she's just got her days and nights mixed up a little.

Remember Princess, I think Joyce Ann is a perfect name for her, so don't wait until I get home to make sure, cause it may be a long time and, we can't let the most wonderful baby in the world run around without a name.

I'm sure glad she is so strong, I'll bet she will really be beautiful when she grows up.

You are, inside and out, and I love you more each day did you know?

Gee Princess, the kids have all been swell to you, I sure think we have a bunch of grand friends do you?  You must have a lot of flowers around the house, but I know you love them, and it's swell of everyone to bring them to you.

I guess Geo B. will be up there by the time you receive this letter, tell him hello for me, he's sure been more like a brother to me that last few years hasn't he?  What does he think of our darling?  I sure think she's plenty swell.

Hey toots if you got so much milk, it would sure be a swell time for me to be home wouldn't it?  I tried to get some a lot of times but no soap, and now you got plenty, here I am way down here, (just my luck).

Honey are you glad we got the phone in, or does it bother you?  Boy I sure like it even if it doesn't cost you a lot.  I hope you don't mind me charging my calls, but when I have got money, I can't get enough small change and the next time I'm nearly broke.

Toots I wrote Scotty last Saturday, also Carl Wilde, and Merlin Benson.

Honey I'm feeling a lot better now that you and Joyce Ann are getting along so well.  I've never been so happy in a long time and I even like the army now.  Even if they were strict for a week or so.  They have lit up now, and it's like it used to be here, only I'm still going to be awful good, so I can be a corpal.

Toots nevermind about that clipping, but I would like one to put in the baby book or our scrap book.  I love to hear all about her and you, and if you ever change your letters, I'll come home and kick your bum.  So you better keep on as they are.

Honey, I got the telegram telling about the baby about 4:30 PM on the 4th.  And was I ever glad to get it.

Hey toots how come you can't kiss the baby yet?  I bet I would if I was home, but mostly you.

Well I'll sign off for now, so bye my sweethearts, I'll see you soon (I hope).

I'll always love you both tons and tons.

Forever Yours,

Daddy Speak

No comments:

Post a Comment