Tuesday, March 26, 2013

September 3, 1943: Speak to Madge

Darling Madge:

How's my sweets today, gee I love ya both just tons and tons.  And I'm sure anxious to see that darling of ours.  She sure sounds cute, but then she'd have to be cause look how beautiful her Mom is.

Hon if you knew how tired I am of this place, now that most of my buddies have left, you would want them to ship me tomorrow.  And I don't even care where they send me.

Hansen has gone to the cadets he's still on this field, but we only get to be together about an hour each night.

Simons is still here, but he lives in another barracks, and we get different details each day so we don't see an awful lot of each other.

Boy they sure had us working today, we had to load trash on trucks, and my back, and hands are aching to beat hell.  It's the first real work I've ever done in the army.  And I got blisters on my hands to prove it.

Hey I'm over to the service club, they are having a dance again.  There's lots of girls here, but none of them would hold a candle compared to you, for looks, and I know none of them could be near as swell as you are.  Cause you're the best on earth, and my Princess forever. (No I didn't dance).  I don't ever want to get near any girl until I get home to my own sweethearts.  They don't even interest me, not even to whistle at.

Gee, I think it's swell how Joyce Ann is getting along.  I'll bet she sure enjoys Donny.  Honey no matter how cute she is or how well she gets along, it's all because of you, I sure hope she takes after you in every way.  You are her Mommy, but you will always be my girl.  I love you toots.

Hey I guess you will have to get out that heat pad for this winter cause I won't be there to keep you hot (I mean warm).  It's starting to get cold here at nights too, I guess I'll have to start using my blanket.  I haven't used bedding at all the last two months though.

I sure hope it don't freeze up there for a long time,  so all the farmers can get all their crops in.  Remember how to frost screwed Lee Gammon on his tomatoes last year?  Hope he does better this time.  Has Pop got much stuff that will freeze?

What is Murray doing now?  And how to they like their home?  Do Cullimores still live there?

I'm sure glad Mrs. Mayberry is a good neighbor.  Tell her, and him hello for me.  What is he doing?  Does he still work out to the plant?

Well Princess, it's getting late so I better close, cause remember I'm on K.P. again tomorrow, but I'm going to off if I can.

You know how much I love you, and Joyce Ann, so I won't try to tell you, cause there isn't enough paper in all the world to do that on.  But always remember no matter where I go, or what I do, you will always be my one and only.  Any I'm just waiting for that day, when we will all three be together again.  Remember you are my one and only, so take good care of yourself.  I know Joyce Ann is in care of the best girl on earth.  Bye for tonight soldier, keep your chin up, and keep smiling.

All my Love to you both.
Yours Forever,

Pfc. Carter

P.S. I love ya always, Neeny Boo.

No comments:

Post a Comment