Tuesday, March 26, 2013

August 29, 1943: Jess to Madge (Tennesee)

Dear Madge,

I decided to take the day and answer all the letters I owe - It's been so damned hot here the last while I haven't done anything except try to cool off and that's almost impossible.  It's the hottest it's been here since 1930.  all the gardens and lawns are burned right up.  everything except the cotton and Tabasco and they look pretty withered.  When we go to bed we lay and sweat and stick to the sheet.  That's what I can't get used to, but I suppose it will cool off sooner or later.

How have you and the baby been Madge?  Fine I hope.  I also hope by now that Speak is home or soon will be.

We had a letter from Alf and Helen yesterday and we're very sorry to hear about her bad luck, but like she says now, she know she can get that way she can build herself up and try it again.

I'll bet they did feel plenty bad I know we would if anything would happen to ours.  Helen's letter saying she had been in the hospital made me feel kinda funny cause about three weeks ago I dreamed she was in the hospital.  She said they had seen you a few times and that your baby was just darling.  Said it made her feel kinda bad.  I hope she can get that way soon again.

I went to a Dr. down in M'boro Thursday he is Mrs. Randolph's family Dr. (she is the lady we stay with).  She went with me - he said everything was fine and Madge I've gained nearly 5 lbs and it's all on my front, boy I've sure filled out in the last 5 weeks.

He gave me another blood test it's just his routine - I guess.  One of the girls I met is also pregnant.  Her husband is a S/Sgt in his squad, they live in Smyrna.

I was sure glad to find some one else that way too.  She is only about two months along.  When we get a place in Smyrna we can have a lot of fun sewing and what not.  Madge I've learned to crochet.  I have finished a petticoat and a pair of flannel slippers.  I also worked  a little Kimono - it had baby Ric rack braid one so I didn't crochet on that.  I have some pillow cases to do but haven't started them yet.

I got me a seersucker brown and white material nity dress.  It's quite cute.  It has elastic gathers on each side of the waist and is real big.  I think I'm going to use Dot's dress from later on.  She said I could before I left.

Lee was in Salt Lake two weeks ago Tuesday they didn't get in SL til around 7 pm and had to wait till 9 pm for a gas truck to come and drain the gas out of the plane so by the time he left the base to go into town it was 11 pm, he went to see Alf and Helen but I guess they were in Provo.  He said their paper and milk were in the hall.  He wrote them a not on the top of the paper but I guess they didn't ever get it cause they didn't mention it in their letter.  He didn't have time to go down home cause they left Salt Lake at 6 a.m. the next morning to come back here.

How is Wanda Madge?  I am going to write her on of these days.  Does Scotty have any idea that he is coming home?  It would be swell if he and Speak could make it home together. 

Madge I sure hope Joyce Ann hasn't had the colic anymore.  I don't blame you and wouldn't let her cry anymore either.  I bet it about scared your pants off didn't it?  Boy! It sure would me.  That sounds like what Mina's baby had.  Grace was saying she cried and couldn't get her breath on nite and that Mina was very worried about her. 

I haven't heard from Harold and Iney yet but I suppose they will write when they get the time.  Have you been up for their place?

Oh! Madge did Helen give you the things she had for you?  Aren't they just darling?

Madge well you do me a big favor?  When you are downtown sometime will you go in Gloria's shop and see if you can find me a dress on the order of the green house dress you got there with the draw string around the waist?  I have looked I can't find one here.  I still wear the blue one I got at home but could sure use another one on the same oaten if you can find one let me know and I'll send you the money for it.

The Dr. changed the date to around the 17 of Dec. I don't know how he figures but guess it doesn't matter as long as I have it in Dec. same time dates it?  I've been feeling swell ever since we've been here.  I only hope I continue to feel as good and I'll feel very lucky.

I know you are busy Madge but write us when you can and take good care of you and the baby.  I'll try to do better in the future and answer sooner than I did this time.

Love,

Jessie and Lee
 

No comments:

Post a Comment