Friday, March 1, 2013

August 12, 1943: Speak to Madge

My Sweethearts:

Well honey it's all over now, I got my diploma yesterday after school  boy was I ever glad to get it.  that was 5 months I'll never forget, and it was a lot of damn hard work.  I'm going to sent it home as soon as I can get over to the post office.  We are waiting for our shipping orders now, they sent 300 names out today, but I guess it will be at least a week before we get ours, as we are the last class.

In the mean time, we have three more days to spend on the firing range.  We were there all day today (shooting pistols).

We also got out grades for the whole school, so you can look them over.  I was next to the highest in our whole class.  Snell got an 85.17 average, so I'm more than satisfied.

I don't know where I'll go from here, but I hope it's soon, cause this is sure a screwed up mess.  And I sure don't want to be a instructor.  I'm like you, I hope it will be closer to you.  I'm sure sick of this hot weather, I hope the next place is up north.

How do you like my hair cut?  that pin on my shirt is what they gave us, at our graduation services, it is a air plan mechanic pin.  We also have a cheveron sewed on the cuff of our shirt it is an engine, for us mechanics.

Sweet you ask what I did in my spare time out at the field.  We to be truthful we never had any, I was never so damn tired of going from daylight till dark in my life.  And I never thought I'd drink and eat such dirty stuff.  It was the worst I've ever seen.  but then we were supposed to be over there, only it isn't half that bad over there.

I never thought I'd have to steal water, but I didn and plenty, we had to steal it out of the shower tank.

The hike was plenty though but my feet held out fine.  It was 105 degrees the day we took it, and we hiked 19 miles, with a 65 pound pack, when we got in we were wet with sweat from head to foot.  and to make matters worse we wore our gas mask for one hour, while on the march.

We had to go over the obstacle course, the next day with a full pack and pas mask.  And we learned how to mount truck and dismount.  Also, how to drive tanks and destroy them.

We had one day with the submachine gun, two days of camoflouging, and one full day of pictures, and one day of lectures and first aid, and disease prevention.

All in all it was nine days of living hell, but we sure learned what was going on over on the other side, and I'm glad I have had it, cause it may save my life someday.  I'm sure glad my feel didn't hurt me too.

The diploma we got isn't much to look at, but it's what we went thru to get it that counts.  And now I'll be a corpal as soon as I ship out of here.

Darling, I haven't had a chance to write to you, but you and Joyce Ann, we always in my hear and my prayers each night were for you both.

I carry a picture of you both together and pray that I'll see you soon, cause gee honey I love you, and miss you a lot.

You're the most wonderful sweethear and mother in the whole world.  And darling you will never know how your letters helped my out each day while out there on manuvers.  They made me the happiest guy in the world, and made my job a lot easier to know that we were all three doing our part to help clear up this mess.

Princess I'll always love you and be true to you both, and I hope to see you real soon.  Hey you please don't try to go over and work on the farm, or down to Keeley's either. 

Hey I'd sure like to see Edna and Vern, there really swell people.  In fact there's a lot of people I'd like to see back there, so can I bum around for maybe a half day if I get a 15 day furlough?

No Princess, I don't think I'll go over this year.  At least I hope not.  And I haven't had a chew of tobacco for two days wither, so I guess I'll quit.

Honey don't be afraid to tell me about you and Joyce Ann.  I do get home sick, but they keep us plenty busy, so we don't set around and worry about things back home, besides I can take it.

Hey the P.X.s haven't had any film in lately, but I'll send some as soon as I can.  Honey don't take the baby out in the sun too much, or don't take her down to Landrups and her her picture taken, as the bright light may hurt her eyes.  I'd love all the pictures I could get, but for her sake I guess I can do without, until she's a little older, and stronger.  Maybe I'm a grandma am I?

Well honey they're yellering lights out, so until tomorrow.  I'll keep on loving you and think of you both.  Goodnight my Princess and goodnight my doll be good to your Mommy.

All my love.  Yours Forever.

Speak

No comments:

Post a Comment