Friday, March 1, 2013

August 26, 1943: Speak to Madge

Amarillo Texas

Hi my Darlings:

Well sweets I'm still bumming around an waiting for the shipping order.  Conkel is going to leave us tomorrow, I don't know where he is going but I sure hate to see him go.

Hey I go on a detail tomorrow I'm going over and work in the Quarter Master Warehouse #15.  I go to work at 7:30 and work till 5 PM so I don't think I scrwe off, cause that a lot better than K.P.  Simons goes on K.P. tonight at 9:30 and works till 1:30 tomorrow.  So I got the best of the deal.

Toots, I've over at the Service Club they have some girls playing the piano and singing, the guys are making so much noise I hardly know what I'm writing.  I don't think they're listening to the music tho, they are just getting an eye full of girls in formals.

I have just came back from the boxing bouts, boy there's a kid here from Utah that sure bowls em over.  He's the champ of this camp.  I don't know who he is I've never seen him before. 

Hey honey do you remember Leon Frazier, the kid who used to work with Scotty down at Ike Paeys station?  Well I saw him last night, he's here for his basic training as an A.C.Cadet.

He lives down by the frils, I've known him all my life, I used to go swimming and fishing, with him over to the river.  Boy it sure seemed good to see someone I knew.  We had a nice long talk about old time, I'm going to see him again tomorrow night.  I would meet him just as I'm getting ready to leave this place.

Remember when I was in St. Pete I met Ray Heal, we he and Leon are the only guys I've met I knew since I go in the army.

I'm sure getting tired of laying around doing nothing I'll sure be glad to get shipped out of here.  I'll even welcome a little work tomorrow.

How is our angel Joyce ann getting along?  She hasn't a cold has she, be real careful who you let get close to her.  And don't let no kids kiss her, or hold her.  Cause we don't want her getting sick ever.  Hon I don't blame you for not going down to see Wanda, at least while she is sick.  Cause honest honey, we can't ever take cahnces with Joyce Ann's health.

Madge excuse me, I don't mean to be telling you how to take care of your own baby.  But please darling don't ever take any chances, even if it hurts someone.

Gee toots I'm glad Frank, Florence and the rest of them came to see you, now I'll bet you feel a lot better, don't you?  Hey all our friends have sure been swell to us haven't they? 

Gee you must have a lof of clothes for Joyce Ann.  Hey I think Don Giff, was screwy for joining the Marines, especially the paratroops, but he's got what it takes, and I'll bet he makes a damn good soldier.  Tell them I wish him a lot of luck and a safe return.  I'd sure like to hear from him.

I sure hope Chuck is still OK.  Boy he's about done his share.  I don't see why they don't send him home on a long furlough.  I'll bet Florence would be the happiest Mom in the world if they would, don't you?

Hey I wrote to each of the girls and Ed and Lela, and Scotty today.  Now if I can just find something to write to you side of the family I'll be nearly caught up.  But I may wait till I get to my new base.  So I'll have something to write about.

Honey, I love you more each day, and I sure hope you don't ever get tired of these old dry letters.  Hey are you still my Princess now and forever?  Gee your tops Mommy.

Draling each day I'm away from you and Joyce ann I feel I'm being cheated out of a lot of fun and pleasure  I used to say I'd like a kid about 1 or 2 years old, but honest I was only fooling.  Gee I'd give my right arm to be there with you so we could bother watch her grow up together.

Darling I don't think this war will last much longer and then I will be home.  so maybe I won't miss too much of it, do you think she will forgive me, when she gets older?  Tell her I'll try to make it up to her.

Honey I dream of you both each night and I still pray for you.  I can hardly wait to find out where I'm going to be.  I sure hope we can arrange something.

Well sweetheart I imagine youa re getting tired of this so I better close for now.

But remember, Madge how much I love you, and Joyce Ann.  So take good care of yourselves for me.

Keep your chin up soldier.  I love you more each hour.

Yours Forever,

Daddy Speak

XOXOXOXOXOXOXO to both of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment