Monday, January 21, 2013

July 28, 1943: Speak to Madge

Dearest Madge:

No! My angels, I haven't forgotten you.  These terds have just kept us too busy to write.  We had gas drills all day Monday, and yesterday we were taken prisoner, by the boys out in field test.  We marched and drilled both days until adfter 5 p.m. and after going to school all night, boy was I a sleepy guy, just 4 hours sleep each day. 

They are trying to show us what it will be like in the combat area, cause I guess it won't be long until some of us are in it.  But I'll be fairly safe cause the air field for these big bombers, are always way back of the front.

I just have 12 more days to go including my field test, boy this is one time I'll be glad to get off this shift.  It's nice in school at night but sure hell trying to sleep in the daytime.  I slept from 12 till 4, but it was too hot so here I am wide awake.

Honey, so far my average for the whole school is 84 7/10%.  I have got all 85s but over in test blocks I go an 80, but then that was the eay phase of the bunch, we just screwed up too much.  I got that 80 about the time you were out to the hospital so I waited till you were better before I told you.  But even at that I still have nearly the highest grades in our class, there's just one kid with higher ones that mine, but he don't know a damn thing about these planes, he's just a suck ass.

I guess I'll leave my stuff I won't need in Gonzers car, while I'm out to the field.  He's going to put it in storage down town.  Boy we sure can't have much stuff laying around, cause they took our foot lockers away from us and gave them to the rookies.

Hey, we got ,100 new men in our squadron they are waiting to start school, the poor terds.

They start 100 men each day, but they have a waiting list about 6000 before they start.

Honey, I hope this hot weather isn't too hard on you or the baby, don't go out in it too much will you?  It's sure a bitch down here.  I'd give anything to be able to get a good days sleep in our cool home.  Maybe I will soon, huh?

Hey another reason they have been so tough on us old men, is to keep the new one's in line, and boy are they scared of Lt. Shaffer, but he's a good officer, but tough as hell.

I think the field test will be a cinch for me, but I don't think much of the  hike on our day off as I have damn sore feet.  I got blisters on my left one, and athletes foot on both.  But I just started to doctor them so maybe they will be better by next Monday, that's when we go to the field, about 9 a.m.

I still go around with Simons, Conkel, and Hansen, we have sure been good buddies, I'll sure miss them, I guess we will all be split up, when we ship out of here. 

Hey, how are the folks going to have the house over at the farm, you haven't told me much about it.  Or don't they know yet?  I'll bet Mom will be glad when it's finished, she has sure wanted it for a long time hasn't she?  I wish I could help them build it, maybe we can help out some other way later on.

Gee princess, I love you a lot any my darling daughter too, even if I haven't seen her yet.  Hey ain't that the shits, here I have a child and everyone gets to see her before I do.

She must really be an angel, and I'll sure be glad to get home to you both.  I'm glad she has brought you so much happiness, but I'll sure bet it's a full time job to take care of her.

Well my darling, I'll sign off for now, and go try to get that call thru again, bye my sweets, be talking to you soon. (I hope)

All my Love,

Your Speak

XOXOXOXOXO






















 

No comments:

Post a Comment