Wednesday, January 23, 2013

July 25, 1943: Speak to Madge

Darling Madge:

Honey I'm sure sorry I haven't been able to write the last two days.  Yesterday on my day off, we had to go out to the firing range, then come in and do detail.  We went to school last night, it is sure nice in school at night, but it's sure hot as hell trying to sleep in the daytime.

I guess I won't be able to write very much from now on unless I do it at night in school.  we only have 7 more days of school before we go out to the field test.  and boy are they trying to break us, and make it tough for us.  They told us we didn't no what the army was like, but we would find out the next two weeks.

Honey, I believe we will be able to write, while we are out there, so I'll try to let you know what it's like.  I do know that we go on maneuvers and a 20 mile hike on our day off.  And that we work on planes, under actual battle conditions.

Princess, I tried to call you the last two days but I couldn't get a line thru, I'll try again when I get thru this letter.  I'm sure glad you are nearly as well as ever, but don't try to do too much for a long long time yet.

Gee darling, I'd give anything to be able to see Joyce Ann.  She sure must be an angel and I know I'll hate to leave you both, when I come home on furlough.  She must be the most perfect baby in the world, I'll sure be glad to get that snapshot of you two angels.

Honey, I fixed up that papers for the exta allotment but I gotta get a copy of Joyce Ann's birth certificate. so as soon as you can, why send it to me, will ya?

They sent the papers in, so you shoudl get it in your next check, but if you don't they will probably make it up in the next one.  I sure hope youare able to get along alright on it.  Gee toots, I'll work all the time when I get out of theis army, and try to make a lot of dough, so you can make up for the fun you've missed.

I got that card Mom sent, it was sure swell, tell her thanks a lot.  I guess I won't be able to write them, cause it's all I can do to find time to write to you.

I'm sure glad we got such a lovely daughter, she must be just like you.  It's sure good news to hear she is growing, and that you are able to feed her, I think that's a lot better than on a bottle.  You will soon be able to take her down town and show her off won't you?  That is sure swell of Murray and Bernice to let us use all their stuff.  I would have cost us a fortune to have  bought it.

So Geo Bills didn't know we had our family, I guess I'll write him if I ever get time.

Hey I'm glad Uncle Lee was able to get home, I'll bet they really had a swell time.  It's swell that Jessie is able to go back with him, although I don't think they are doing the smart thing.  She would get lots better care at home.

I'll bet the folks are really thrilled to get started on their home, I know we will when we build our dream home, won't we?  Honey I know you hate to leave our place, but it will be better for you and the baby, and also for Mom.  and Murray and Bernice will take good care of our place.  Princess this war can't last forever, I'll soon be home again, then we will have more happiness than ever before.  So keep your chin up, and try to always think of the bright side.  You have sure been swell thru this, you are a better soldier than any in this army.  I'll never forget it either.

See I love you so darn much, that if I soon don't get to see you I'll bust.  Just think toots, it will be nearly a year since I left (well it seems like it).  I guess I better sign off for now, and go see if I can get a call thru.

Remember darling how much I love you both, and how much I miss you.

Good night my angels, God Bless you both.

All my love,

Your devoted husband and Dad.

Pfc. Speak

No comments:

Post a Comment