Saturday, August 4, 2012

January 23, 1943: Madge to Speak

Sat. Night, Jan 23/43

Dearest:

     When will I hear from you?  Soon I hope.  Maybe Monday.

     Did I tell you the Dr. gave me a cold shot to help throw off my cold and if anything it's worse.  How is your cold, is it worse or better?  Better I hope, 'cause after going as long as you did with no cold it would be a shame to have a bad one now.

     Mother is listening to "Thanks to the Yanks" and Dads in bed and it's 9:15 - and Madge is missing her yank like hell.

     It snowed a little bit the other day but the wind has blown ever since.  Boy was it cold for a few days.  I guess we just don't have any snow this winter.

     the wind blew so hard is Salt Lake yesterday it blew "Sunset beach" right down level and took a couple of roofs of off the Smelter at Garfield.

     Well Honey, I am going to stay with Jessie tomorrow night (sun) again.  So I'll finish that then.  Or I'll sure have to box this bunch of letter up to send them.

                                                 Good night Sweet.

Sun. Night
Jessies Place

     Hello Dear, here I am again as full as a tick.  Jessie and I just went to the A and W (it's open finally) and had a cheeseburger and a milk shake, I have to have my milk.  Then down to Dalebouts Bakery and bought a half dozen do-nuts, then had coffee and donuts.

     I slept until noon today again.  About 12:15 Murray and Brenda came up.  She is so cute.  She kept pointing at your picture and saying Spee - Spee.  Unitl I gave it to her and boy did she ever give you a nice sticky love and would I like it to.  The little cuss is 20 month's old and doesn't say a word.  Hope our baby is brighter than that.  Letsee - next month I'll be able to feel him, don't you wish you could?

     Ed and Lela were in the store again yesterday to see if I had heard from you.  Gosh, she really looks pregnant, she wouldn't look quite so bad if she'd wear a little powder and lipstick, I thought she had been sick but she said she felt swell - Heck Honey, I wore my black dress to the Drs. the other day and now no one believes I am pregnant.  They think it's a little rumor. - I guess I'll have to start looking haggy so I'll feel that way.  As I've said before I feel so darn good it's hard to believe.  Are you getting tired hearing about us two?  Hope not 'cause you'll be hearing more.

     I practically made myself out a liar in the Sat. edition of the letter - it snowed this morning, gosh it was swell to sit and watch the snow fall, maybe my cold will go now if not now maybe by the time you come home on your furlough it'll be gone.

     Mom informed me today that she intended to buy more of our babys things as their part in the local war effort.  I told her she didn't need to but she says - She'll take no sass from either of us 'cause it'll be her best grand child and they can if they want and you to keep that suit case as long as you need it because it will just kick around home and she wants you to have it and she hopes you don't remember her as she was that last nite we went over there with her hair up in curlers.  Honey, they are really swell.  I guess I just never realized it before.

     I worked the fountain with Lovinia to other night.  They started to paint the kitchen so I told Von I was going home, but as it was I didn't get within 20 ft of it all night.

     Sweetheart, it's awful not to know ever where you are or how you are.  I just have to shut my mind of when I start to think about it, but maybe I'll know soon. 'cause I miss you so.  It's not so bad during the day, but at night its awfull.  I'm kinda getting over waiting for you to come home at least I've quit watching for you.  I'm sending you the words to a song.  I have Butch play it over and over every morning, it's kind of a bright spot in the dark days.

     Hon. Be sure and tell me everything you do what army life is like and anything as long as it's about you.

     Well, I guess I'll close now for tonight and hope and pray I get that letter tomorrow.  As I said before don't worry about me.  I'm getting along wonderfully well and I promise as soon as I hear from you all my letters won't read Ill.

     So Good Night Lover for now.

     Madge

No comments:

Post a Comment