Saturday, August 4, 2012

January 21, 1942

1/21/42, Thursday night

To the best beau in the world.  

     Well Dearest, I went to the Dr. today, I'm still just grand except that I have lost 2 1/2 lbs.  But he didn't seem to be worried, so neither am I.

     I went down and paid $25.00 on the stoves and told them that if they didn't fix the door I wouldn't pay any more on them. - I have the money for the hospital plan.  I'll get it paid one of these first days.  Our light and water bill was $3.84 or something like that.  I almost had a fight to keep Mother and Dad from paying half of it.  I bought a head of lettuce and a bag of shredded veg. that came to $0.30 the other night and Mother practically shoved it down me to make me take the money.  I haven't bought over $0.50 worth of groceries since you left.

     Oh Honey, you should see me, my hair is so short and curley, I look like a teenage gal.  I don't look like your girl you left.  But I am and always will be.

     Honestly Speak, Mom keeps this place so clean and shiny I hardly know where I am.  they still won't take our bedroom.  So they are sleeping in the little one.  I believe they both like it here.
     Murray went to work at the Steel plant at Ironton - he gets paid about the same except not for lunch, he surely likes it, he is doing mostly pipe work (threading them).

     Gosh Sweet, if I don't hear from you soon I'll go slap happy, this is just like talking to myself.  When on earth are you?  Down in the Everglades of Florida? (Heaven forbit) - if so watch out for crocodiles and wild things, especially women.  I'm only fooling, that the last thing either of us have to worry about, and especially don't get blue and decided to change your luck like Ganman used to say.

     Lordy. Boy.  You should see the Silver fox coat Wanda showed up up in tonight to go see Scotty in, good lord she looked like Mrs. Astors horse.  I'll bet she paid $300.00 for it.  Blanche Kirk had to pay $40.00 luxury tax on her coat, so I can imagine what Wanda had to pay.

     I got a card from the telephone co. in Salt Lake with $0.50 in it, for money incorrectly deposited in one of the pay phones, was that you?

     Well beloved, back to the envelope for this, until I hear from you, until then, good night and sweet dreams.

     As Ever,

     Your Madge

No comments:

Post a Comment